These are so delicious and always a favorite straight out of the oven in my home at Easter. Whether you celebrate Easter, or not give these delicious buns a try as they have a fantastic ‘holiday’ feel with the spices and your kitchen will smell incredible! We also sometimes make these during Christmas and skip the traditional Easter cross on top.
For the icing, I am simply using coconut butter – one ingredient, yay! We also sometimes use my Sugar-Free Raw Dark Chocolate recipe as the cross, but I feel like this looks more authentic and traditional! Sometimes, we just have them plain too.
These freeze really well and are made fresh again when toasted in your toaster! I love nut butter, seed butter or a bit of ghee, on mine. The kids love there’s with some grass-fed butter on them. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 1 x Clean Keto Bread Buns Recipe
- (prepped not baked. Follow instructions below)
- 50g ½ Cup Erythritol Powder sifted
- 45g ⅓ Cup Raisins
- 9g Zest of One Orange
- 7g 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Clove
- ¼ tsp Fresh Nutmeg, or ground
- ¼ tsp Ginger Powder
To shape buns:
- 15g 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (prevents the dough sticking to hands)
For the icing:
- 60g ¼ Cup Coconut Butter, melted
For the glazing:
- 55g 1 Egg, lightly beaten for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 356F.
- In a standing mixer bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add in the boiling water. Mix in the egg, vinegar, and the orange zest. mix ingredients until well combined, but do not over mix approx. 30 seconds.
- Add in the oil and the raisins. Beat for a few more seconds. The dough will be a play doh-like consistency.
- Let sit for 15 mins. If the dough is too sticky to shape, place the dough into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Moisten your hand with the 1 tbsp of coconut oil and shape the dough into 8 pieces, approximately 70 grams each. Repeat.
- Lay the formed dough on a prepared baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a pastry brush, glaze the uncooked buns with the 1 beaten egg.
- Place the baking tray on the middle rack of the oven and bake at 180C/ 356F for 24 minutes. Then turn the tray around.
- Bake for another 24 minutes covered with foil to avoid burning.
- To check doneness insert a toothpick if it comes out clean the buns are ready. Also, tap the base of the bun. If you hear a hollow sound, it is ready. Remove them from the oven.
- Place the buns on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Pour some melted coconut butter into the corner of a small plastic ziplock bag for piping the icing. Cut a tiny hole at the corner.
- Make the cross sign on the top of the buns with the melted coconut butter. Place them in the fridge for the coconut butter to set up, approx 5 minutes.
- Serve them with some butter or your favorite topping.
Storage: Buns keep well in an airtight sealed container on the counter for one week or the fridge for at least two weeks, or in the freezer for two months.