I love this bread for so many reasons. Firstly, I love that it’s all seeds and has such a nutritionally dense profile. Secondly, I love that it is my go-to bread that I just have to throw into the toaster (I love it toasted). Lastly, I love that it goes with everything from a thick smear of tahini and slices of banana to my sprouted sunflower seed hummus (or chickpea) to my fermented ricotta nut cheese, or cream cheese and to mop up one of my soups. It is just so versatile!
This bread is no ordinary bread either. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and fiber – loads of fiber! This is great news for our good gut buddies as they love to feed off of fiber to proliferate so that they can promote optimal immune function and help guard you against illnesses. These are the guys we want to take care of so that they can take care of us!
The aroma in your kitchen while this loaf of bread bakes is just heaven. While it contains simply seeds, its taste, texture, and flavor are complex and rustic, hence its name ‘The Humble Seed Loaf.’ The other bread recipes that so many of you tell me how much you love include my Chapati Bread and my Clean Keto Buns and this one is right up there with them, although a lot more dense like how bread used to be. Now you have a variety of very different grain-free bread that you can make at home that won’t bloat you and that you can feel so good about enjoying.
- 228g 2 Cups Sunflower Seed Meal* (see below)
- 160g 3 Eggs, beaten
- 50g ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
- 38g ¼ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 37g ¼ Cup Sesame Seeds
- 34g ½ Cup Psyllium Husk
- 23g 2 Tbsps Chia Seeds
- 21g ¼ Cup Ground Flax
- 10g 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8g 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 6g 1 tsp Unrefined Salt
- 60g ¼ Cup Filtered Water
*Sunflower Seed Meal
- Place 1½ Cups of raw sunflower seeds into a dry high-speed blender and blend into flour.
- 4g 1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 4g 1 tsp Sesame Seeds, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180C / 356F.
- Prepare a loaf pan approx. 24cm x 13.5 cm lightly greased and lined with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Then use your hand to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the 1 tsp of sesame seeds on top and gently press onto top of the dough.
- In the oven, use the bottom rack and bake at 180C / 356F for 30 minutes. This loaf is dense like old school bread and won’t rise too much.
- Remove the loaf from pan and baking paper and place directly onto the wire rack for another 10 mins. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf and when it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Transfer the loaf onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Storage: This loaf stores well in an airtight sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or slice and then freeze for up to two months. To warm back up simply place a slice of bread into your toaster.