Kale salads have become so popular over the past five-plus years, but sadly some of them lack flavor and the right texture. I don’t know about you, but chowing down on robust kale that has not been properly prepared doesn’t excite me at all!
In this salad, my Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing serves two purposes. Firstly, the lemon and salt help to break down the kale cell walls so that it becomes easier on the palate (and jaw). Secondly, it’s flavors pair so well with kale and brightens up this salad with a creamy satiating mouthfeel.
The addition of the Crispy Spiced Chickpea Croutons adds an interesting crunchy texture that offers delicious pops of flavor. We love this salad as a side teamed with our protein of choice, or on its own. Kale contains the compound sulforaphane, which helps to activate our Nrf2 detoxification pathway and is why it is referred to as a detox food. Kale is also rich in anti-oxidants, vitamin C, calcium and is anti-inflammatory.
For the Salad
- 70g 1½ Cups Mixed Lettuce Leaves, packed
- 60g 1½ Cups Kale Leaves, packed, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the kale leaves and mixed lettuce leaves.
- Add in half the lemon tahini dressing. Toss thoroughly. Reserve the rest of the dressing for serving.
- Sprinkle with the spiced chickpea croutons on top after dressing the salad.
Storage: Once dressed, salad is best consumed immediately. For salad dressing and chickpea croutons please refer to respective recipes.