One of my favorite sauces ever is the smokey, tangy, unforgettable party in your mouth, buffalo sauce. It wasn’t until I visited the US when I was younger that I was introduced to this deliciously spicy sauce that I was immediately hooked!
These days, I prefer a whole food version made from scratch with upgraded ingredients slathered over the perfect veggie host, cauliflower (as opposed to the traditional breaded and fried chicken wings). Hence, the birth of my Buffalo ‘Cauliwings,’ which consequently became a party and game day (hellloooo Super Bowl, rugby and AFL) favorite. Whenever I made them my friends (and family) would go cray-cray for them! SCORE!
Packed with plenty of nutrition this buffalo sauce is (pun intended) a real ‘game changer,’ and don’t let cauliflower be your only vehicle, as it also makes the most delicious dip with veggie crudités, sauce (over roasted veg, or your fav protein like fish and roasted chicken) and marinade.
- 510g 3 x Large Red Peppers, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 45g 3 Tbsps Ghee (or avocado oil, or coconut oil)
- 38g 2½ Tbsps Fresh Lemon Juice
- 27g 1½ Tbsps Tamari or Coconut Aminos
- 24g 1½ Tbsps Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8g 1½ tsp Avocado Oil (for tossing)
- 6g 1½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 6g 1½ tsp Onion Powder
- 5g 1½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3g ¼ tsp Unrefined Salt
- 3g 1 fresh Red Chilli or ½ tsp Cayenne (to your preferred heat)
- Preheat the oven at 180C/ 356F.
- On a prepared baking paper lined oven tray, lay out the red peppers.
- Add the red peppers onto the baking tray, toss to coat with 1½ tsp of your preferred oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C/ 356F or until soft. Remove from the oven.
- In a blender, add in the baked red peppers with remaining ingredients and blend on high until creamy smooth.
- Remove buffalo sauce from blender and make my buffalo cauliwings, or store in the fridge to use later as a dip, dressing, marinade, or sauce.
Storage: Store smokey buffalo sauce in an airtight sealed container in the fridge for up to 10 days.