I remember growing up and loving it when we would have guests around and once in a while Mum would break out some cream cheese (Kraft, Philadelphia cream cheese). Back then I didn’t realize it was loaded with stabilizers, fillers, and preservatives let alone the adverse affects dairy had on me – I just LOVED the stuff! It didn’t love me because I would always feel unwell after consuming it, but going down on a cracker – it was a dream!
As a chef and nutritionist, I can’t help but not bring back my favorites and upgrade them using whole foods so that I can thrive! This decadent simple cream cheese employs fermented cashews as its base, which due to the soaking and fermentation process once blended tastes just like real dairy cream cheese! Not only that but soaking and fermenting cashews (a nut I previously had issues with until I learned to soak and ferment them) makes them much easier to digest whilst feeding our resident gut buddies to get them proliferating!
This is my ‘plain cream cheese’ recipe, so please feel free to flavor your cream cheese, if you so desire, or keep it plain! Here are some suggestions I have tested and take with me to parties and BBQ’s that work exceptionally well: Chive and onion, spicy jalapeño, smoked paprika, and Italian herbs. Of course, you can play with many more! We love using this cream cheese as a dip with veggie crudités, or as a spread on my Clean Keto Buns for my delicious Smoked Salmon Capers and Cream Cheese ‘Bagel’! It honestly is the best non-dairy cream cheese spread and such a great way of getting more healthy fat and fermented nutrition into you and your family!
- 320g 2 Cups Raw Cashews
- 60g ¼ Cup Unsweetened Almond Mylk
- 8g ½Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 6g ½ Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1g ¼ tsp Unrefined Salt
- 2 Capsules Probiotic (discard the probiotic case)
- 480g 2 Cups Filtered Water
- Rinse nuts several times under fresh filtered water.
- In a clean medium glass bowl (do not use metal or plastic), add the nuts, water, and probiotic powder.
- Stir to dissolve the probiotic. Make sure that the nuts are covered with the probiotic water mixture to avoid mold.
- Using a dish towel, cover the bowl to prevent unwanted insects and any dust, etc.
- Place bowl on the kitchen countertop and allow to sit and ferment at room temperature for 48 hours.
- Each day check if the nuts require an extra water top up to ensure the probiotic water covers the nuts.
- After 48 hours, strain the nuts very well in a mesh strainer in the sink. Allow all of the probiotic water to drain out. Do not rinse the nuts.
- In a high-speed blender (a creamier result), or a food processor, blend/ process the drained and fermented nuts, almond mylk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt until smooth. Transfer to a glass container and refrigerate.
Storage: Cashew cream cheese stores for up to a month, or more in a glass airtight sealed container in the fridge.