I have always loved biting into a good burger! Growing up in Sydney Australia, I remember going to the local ‘milk shop’ after a surf and having burgers on soft crusty bread rolls and a chocolate Moove (a down under milk drink, which I was allergic too, but that’s another story!) These days, my buns have got a heck of a lot cleaner with my fresh out of the oven crusty on the outside and soft on the inside clean keto buns that do not contain any grain, sugar, dairy or yeast plus they are full of fibre to feed our microbiota resident gut buddies! BONUS!
They freeze incredibly well and are revived by simply toasting them. I decided I needed to bring my burgers back and have done so using all real, whole plant ingredients – no soy or faux meats on my menu! Feel free if you would like to switch it up and put in some wild salmon, or whatever protein you prefer – this burger is super versatile! I find the best way to eat a burger is with a side salad and plenty of healthy fats such as olives and a simple dressing of fresh lemon and generous drizzles of extra virgin olive oil. The healthy fats not only satiate you, but they also make the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) bio-available, otherwise we can’t absorb them properly. We also sometimes love to add a small handful of my Mexican sweet potato wedges, YUMMO!
This is a simple no-fuss burger, so if you would prefer to make it even more exciting by adding some fresh herbs like basil, coriander/ cilantro or add some heat to it with jalapeños, or a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, by all means GO FOR IT GIRL!
- 200g 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 130g 1 Large Portobello Mushroom, thick sliced, sauté
- 70g 3 Cups Salad Greens
- 60g 2 Slices of Tomato, cut to preferred thickness
- 60g 4 Lettuce leaves (romaine, or butter lettuce, any will do)
- 50g ¼ Cup Sauerkraut
- 50g ⅓ Cup Olives, pitted
- 40g 6 Sliced Cucumber, on a diagonal to preferred thickness
- 30g 2 Tbsps Raw Ranch Dressing, or Mayonnaise**
- 10g 2 tsp Coconut Oil, or Avocado Oil
- Unrefined Salt and Pepper to taste
- 50g 2 Lemon Wedges
- 30g 2 Tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Clean Keto Buns (I make a few slightly larger for burger buns, or you can have mini sliders)
Optional: **For the mayonnaise, I prefer Primal Kitchen’s Mayo, made with avocado oil & cage free eggs.
If you are making this burger for one of your ‘protein’ intake meals then by all means add your favourite protein, wild salmon, fish, meat, chicken, tempeh, whatever you prefer! Make it your own.
- On the stove, in a pan on medium heat, heat the oil. Sauté the mushrooms and onion for a few minutes, season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
- On a prepared plate, using a bread knife, slice the buns in half. Spread with mayonnaise on both sides, top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions and top with the other half of keto bun. Optional: Use a toothpick to secure.
- Arrange salad leaves around the burger along with the olives and lemon wedge. Place olive oil in a tiny bowl to sit on the plate. Eat immediately.
Storage: See clean keto buns recipe. All ingredients keep well in the fridge in an airtight container stored separately for up to 3 days. Once burger is made eat immediately for freshness.