These are simply the easiest kale chips to make that are so crunchy delicious you won’t be able to keep your hands off them. Such a fantastic alternative to potato chips, this humble cruciferous vegetable contains a powerhouse of anti-inflammatory compounds, antioxidants. Kale is rich in vitamins K, A and C and supports detoxification, our heart and brain function. Your resident microbiota gut buddies will be happy too because kale contains a sugar molecule found in dark green leafy vegetables called, sulfoquinovose, which studies show they love to feed on.
I love having these as a side to accompany my meal, or even my THRIVE smoothie. These babies are so full of savory flavour and so yummy and easy to make, you will likely crave them as I do. Don’t like spicy? No problem, simply omit the cayenne or reduce the amount for a more mild spice. This recipe makes two trays, but I am going to bed that once they cool and crisp up they will be gone in minutes!
- 140g 4 Cups Kale, packed, de-stemmed, torn
- 20g 4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 18g 4 tsp Oil (coconut oil, or avocado oil)
- 7g 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 7g 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 4g 2 tsp Paprika Powder
- 3g 1/2 tsp Unrefined Salt
- 2g 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together, except the kale.
- Add in kale to the herb mixture and using your hand gently coat each piece of kale.
- On two baking paper lined oven trays, lay the kale out leaving some space in-between and bake for 8-10 mins at 180C. These can burn very quickly. I recommend you spin the tray half way at the 4-5 minute mark so that one side doesn’t brown quicker than the other.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in order for them to crisp up.
- These are best eaten immediately.
Storage: These will store well in a dry (non-humid) climate for a few days in an airtight sealed container on the shelf. If you live in a humid climate (as I do) kale chips need to be stored in the fridge, however the moisture will require you to pop them back in the oven for 5 mins and allow to cool to crisp up again.