I remember my mum making Schnitzels growing up. I loved the crunchy outer layer that was always so aromatic with herbs and spices. Rosemary and thyme pair together to make this schnitzel flavourful and delicious.
Recently, I re-introduced some occasional chicken (and red meat) back into my diet after being strictly plant-based for ten years then having some fish and egg. If you prefer not to have chicken as your protein you can try this with tempeh, eggplant, or mushroom for my vegan/ vegetarians out there. If you don’t do well with egg simply swap it out for a flax egg to dip in: 1 Tbsp ground flax to 3 Tbsp filtered water. Allow sitting for 5 minutes before dipping.
I love teaming my schnitzel with my simple fluffy vibrant and fresh Kale Cauli-Rice, which leaves me feeling satiated, light and feeling great. For frying, it’s important you know the smoke points of your oils. Avocado oil (high) being the highest, then coconut oil (medium to high) and finally extra virgin olive oil is best on low heat cooking and of course, splashed liberally onto salads. Enjoy this yummy dish beauty!
- 500g 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, rinsed, pat dry with paper towel.
- 105g 1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 75g 5 Tbsps Avocado Oil, or Coconut Oil for frying
- 60g 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 30g ¼ Cup Coconut Flour
- 8g 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 5g ½ Tbsp Onion Powder
- 2g 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, minced
- 1g ½ Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 6g 1 tsp Unrefined Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- ½ – 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 x Recipe Kale Cauli-Rice
- In a large bowl, add in the flours, herbs, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (optional) and mix well to combine.
- Slice chicken breast in half for a thinner 0.5cm, or half centimeter thick. Using some plastic wrap over the top and a rolling pin, thin it out a little more.
- Dip each chicken breast into the beaten egg, then dip into the flour mixture and place onto a plate. Repeat this process ensuring breast is completely covered in the breading mixture.
- On the stove on medium heat in a pan melt the oil. Place the chicken breast into the pan and Cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes on one side.
- Carefully turn the chicken and cook for another 6-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Place onto a paper towel prepared plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with Kale Cauli-Rice, or one of my salads, or create your own side salad.
Storage: Chicken will store for up to four days in the fridge. Please see Kale Cauli-Rice for storage requirements.