This soup is pure comfort food for the soul. I absolutely love it and crave it when I need something warm and hearty. The flavour and rustic texture is delicious aside from the fact that it packs a punch nutritionally too all from the plant based world! Sometimes the huz and I will have this for dinner and it’s always accompanied with my fibre rich vegan keto chapati bread along with a side salad and other times I will have it in my large mug at my desk, or in a thermos on the go! It’s so filling and comforting it reminds me of the days my mum would make my sister and I soup back when we were growing up in Sydney Australia, only this one doesn’t contain the chicken or the noodles and instead has a nutrient profile that would make anyone feel better!
My hearty veggie soup is inspired by the couple of years I lived in Naples Italy and fell in love with ‘zuppa di verdure,’ and had to do my own twist on it! This has been a staple for years in our family and it’s so easy to just chop it all up and throw it all in – you can’t go wrong! It’s also my fav way of using up veggies before we go away – I simply make a big pot up and then freeze it in batches, so no wasting food! We also love to make a batch of soup and freeze into small portions so that we have meals-on-the-ready for when I don’t feel like cooking! Same goes with my chapati (our fav 5 ingredient only vegan keto bread to have with it), we freeze ahead of time and then they’re ready to go straight into the pan – it’s honestly the quickest most delicious meal ever! x
- 1410g 6 Cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 800g 2 x 400g Plum Tomatoes, canned
- 300g 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled, diced
- 230g 2 Medium Onion, chopped
- 210g 1 Can Cannellini Beans (Butter Beans), rinsed very well
- 200g 1 Medium Leek, chopped
- 200g 2 Medium Carrots, chopped
- 160g 1 Medium Zuccini, chopped
- 150g 2 Sticks Celery, chopped
- 135g 1 1/2 Cups Cabbage, chopped
- 50g 1 Cup Packed Curly Kale, chopped
- 13g 5 Fresh Parsley stems with leaves, chopped
- 13g 5 Fresh Basil Stems with leaves, chopped
- 6g 1 tsp Unrefined Salt
- 4g 1 Clove of Garlic, finely chopped
- 1g ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2g 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 28g 2 Tbsps Coconut Oil, or Avocado Oil or Ghee, meltedOptional Garnish: Italian flat parsley for the top, fresh cracked black pepper and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- In a large heavy pan, over medium heat, sauté the onion in the oil for a couple of minutes, or until translucent.
- Add in garlic, carrot, celery, zucchini, leek, potato, oregano and bay leaves. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add in canned tomato and the broth. Boil and simmer for an additional 15 mins.
- Add in beans, cabbage, kale, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5-10 mins.
- Serve this delicious rustic soup with fresh chopped basil and parsley on top, a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper. We also love ours with my Chapati bread.
- In a blender, blend 1/4 of the soup only and pour blended soup back into the pot, stir through to combine. This creates a a deliciously creamy consistency along with the veggie chunks to make the soup even heartier!
Storage: Soup stores well for months in the deep freeze and freezer, or up to a week in the fridge.