This super simple bowl is like a warm hug on a cool day! It is pure comfort food (less the sugar spikes) to set you up for balanced blood sugar. This porridge will fill you up with all the good stuff whilst calming hunger hormones to keep you energized throughout your day. Whether you have this for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner it will help to keep you full for hours due to the protein, fiber and fat, which I have purposefully put in there to prevent snacking in-between meals and to make better ‘food’ decisions when you get to your next meal.
The addition of a vanilla flavored protein powder (20g) of your choice helps to decrease neuropeptide Y (NPY) gene expression in your brain, which actually makes you crave carbs! Most porridges contain oats, however, I discovered they were spiking my blood sugar, which is usually the case when consuming oats. This porridge is so satisfying without the oats, as chia is hydrophilic and takes on 12 x its weight in water, BONUS! Just 2 tablespoons have 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs and a whopping 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals. The anti-inflammatory fiber-rich muddled berries pairs deliciously well with the warmed coconut butter (or use cashew butter) that will help to make you feel satiated. I gravitate towards this porridge when the weather starts to cool for the Autumn/ Fall-Winter seasons.
The protein powder I prefer to use is Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel in Vanilla Coconut, but you can use any protein powder you prefer – just make sure there’s NO added sugar. Stevia or lo han guo (monk fruit) are fine. Both the porridge and the berry compote, which are super easy to make are gently warmed in separate small pots on the stove and I like to add a drizzle of warmed coconut butter and some chopped up almonds. So blood sugar balancing, satisfying and super deelish!
- 360g 1½ Cups Unsweetened Activated Almond Mylk (or coconut mylk)
- 50g 3 Heaped Tbsps Chia Seeds
- 15g 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 7g 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
- 30g One 20g Serving of Vanilla Protein Powder
- 33g 2 Tbsps Raw Coconut Butter (or your fav nut butter)
- 25g 2 Tbsps Almonds, chopped
- 2g ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 80g ½ Cup Frozen Mixed Berries, packed
- 15g 1 Tbsp Filtered Water
- On the stove, in a pan, or pot on low heat add in the oil.
- Add in the almond mylk and vanilla extract and warm gently. Add in the chia and stir for a minute, or two on low heat.
- Add in the ground flax and continue to stir on a gentle simmer. Porridge will thicken. Approx. 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add in the protein powder and stir well to incorporate. Once all integrated turn off the stove and place lid on top.
- On the stove in a small pot on medium heat, add in the berries and water.
- Place the lid on top and bring to a simmer, stirring intermittently. This will take a few minutes and then turn down the heat and stir.
- Remove the lid and stir. The pectins in the berries will thicken into a dark syrupy delicious berry compote.
Storage: Porridge stores well in the fridge in an airtight sealed container overnight. Gently warm back up on the stove and add some extra plant mylk to loosen up the porridge to desired consistency.